Monday, March 23, 2009

THE CALL !!!!!! - The Other Side

We decided to share our own experience on this event because it is so significant.

Early Monday afternoon I received a call on my cell phone from an unknown caller id, I usually let them go to voice mail but we were close to finishing up the sale on our new home and I was expecting some calls from potential employers. I recognized Erin's voice from our Adoption Agency and thought, "Now that is odd, we have all of our paper work done. Why would they be calling me?" We exchanged typical greetings and then Erin said, "Can you hold on while I conference Raylene in?" My stomach hit the floor at the same time my heart jumped. This was it! The Call! Now I can not speak from experience what it is like to have my wife go through the stages of pregnancy and then after all the waiting receive a call at work where the caller says, "She's going into labor!" Raylene has joked a couple of times in saying that we are paper pregnant. Anyway, I think that is about how I felt at that moment. Raylene came on the phone about 2 minutes later and when Erin announced the news, Raylene fell apart with giddiness as Erin informed us that we had a referral for two girls ages 5 and 3-1/2 years old. A couple minutes later we received the email with their photos and profiles.

I was useless and un-productive at work for the rest of the day. I went around telling everyone in my office and called my family to share the good news. I finally just took the rest of the afternoon off. On the way home I picked up a bottle of Martinelli's Apple Cider and a half gallon of Dryer's Ice Cream to celebrate with the Darrington's (Raylene's cousins whom I was staying with), I was still in Logan, UT while Raylene was in LaVerkin, UT staying with her sister Shiloa.

I was excited and terrified at the same time because we have been working toward this for about two years and it was finally going to happen, however we still had not closed the sale on our new home, which needed a little more than TLC, and I did not have a job yet in Southern Utah where we were going to live. I do have a temporary job but that won't take care of us in the long run. So to say I was a bit stressed is an understatement. Despite the craziness of it all, it was the happiest day of my life next to our wedding day and I know the day we first meet them will be right up there with the other two, probably even better!

No comments: